Coronavirus are the large family of viruses that are known to cause illness in human and animals. A new human corona virus was discovered in Qatar and Saudi Arabia in 2012. The new virus ia a new strain of beta coronavirus, named as novel coronavirus(ncov). This was mostly seen in middle east countries causing middle east respiratory Syndrome (MERS). An outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel(new) coronavirus(named 2019 –ncov”) that was first detected in wuhan city, China and which continues to expand.
How is the novel coronavirus spread?
Novel coronavirus experts think that it is originated in an animal species (including camels, cattle, cats, and bats), rarely, animal coronavirus can infect people and then spread between people such as Like MERS (middle east respiratory syndrome) and SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome). Corona virus can spread by airosals/airborn. Incubation period is 2 to 7 days and Infectivity is 7 to 10 days
Source and spread of virus
Person to person spread of the novel corona virus is reported between (those cases involved close contact, family members, co-workers, fellow patients and healthcare workers). It spreads through direct contact, droplets (coughing, sneezing) infection and through fomites (contaminated cloth, hand, table, chair and cot)
Epedimology – New Coronavirus
China,US, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Combodia, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, Srilanka, Thailand, UAE, Nepal, Germany, France, Finland. As on February 10th, around 40K people in China mainland have confirmed cases and around 900 dead. In India, only 3 confirmed cases till today from Kerala, who all returned from Wuhan.
Symptoms of Novel Corona Virus
- Running nose
- Throat pain
- Shortness of breath
- Severe pneumonia ARDS
- Renal failure
- Coronavirus primarily infect the upper respiratory and gastrointestinal tract of humans. Causes mild respiratory illness
- Most people who got infected with the novel corona virus developed severe acute respiratory illness with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath.
There is no specific treatment now. Supportive medical care is provided to help relieve the acuteness of the symptoms and control complications
Is there a vaccine for the new corona virus?
So far there is no vaccine
- Keep away from someone with cold/ cough/ sneezing
- Who are having above symptoms compulsory use of Face mask, 3 layer surgical mask/ N-95 mask
- Who are not having symptoms also can prevent infection by using mask
- Use a tissue to cover nose/ mouth when coughing, sneezing, wiping and blowing noses
- If tissue isn’t available, cough or sneeze into the inner elbow rather than the hand
- Avoid direct hand contact with eyes, mouth and nose
- Frequent hand wash with water and soap or clean with alcohol based sanitizer.
- Adhering to food safety and hygiene rules such as avoiding under-cooked meats, raw fruits and vegetables unless they have been peeled or unsafe water
- Disinfect common surfaces as frequently as possible
- Wash hands or use a sanitizer when in contact with common surfaces like door handles
- PPE (masks, gloves) and appropriate hand hygiene also help reduce the spread of infection.
“Together we can prevent coronavirus”
Avoid contact with Infected or suspected person
Which is the Identified Hospital for Isolation and Laboratory for nCov-2019 China?
Hospital – Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest disease Bengaluru and WENLOCK hospital Mangalore
Laboratory – The sample of suspected cases are tested at NIV (national Institute of Virology), Pune and sample transported by NIV- Bangalore unit
Helpline no- 104 Arogyasahayavani
Contact details: Ph- 080 22208541 / 080 22374658
Blog by Dr.Devendrappa K.R
Consultant in A.V Hospital